Sea|mester is currently inviting applications for the position of Captain aboard S/Y Argo (112ft) and S/Y Ocean Star (88ft). The Captain is master of all aspects of Sea|mester Programs as they relate to vessel operations, safety, technical support and vessel and equipment maintenance. Other specific duties include, but are not limited to, supervision and general welfare of all aboard, maintaining logs and records, customs and port clearances and leading a watch when underway. The Captain oversees and instructs a college-level Nautical Science and Navigation course. A Sea|mester Captain must play an active role in every aspect of life afloat. This will include mentoring the students, leading shore excursions, support of scientific and scuba activities, cooking, cleaning and preventative maintenance of the vessels. A successful candidate will be passionate and energetic with experience in an expeditionary setting. A strong interest in education and role modeling is required.
Preferred Certifications, Qualifications and Experience
- IYT/MCA Yachtmaster Ocean
- MCA Approved Engine Course
- STCW 95
- Ship’s Captain Medical/Medical Person in Charge Certification
- Blue water sailing experience, including ocean crossings
- Considerable documented experience skippering a vessel of 80+ft
- Teaching experience in the areas of Seamanship and Navigation
- Familiarity with marine systems and basic maintenance on diesel engines and electronics
- Experience working with youth
- Confident boat handler with the ability to let the students take the helm and learn by doing
Every staff member is required to be current in Primary and Secondary Care, including CPR (at minimum) for the duration of employment.