Location: Underway to Cape Town!

Hello guys!! It is me again, and if you are an avid blog reader, then you might know what this addition may be about, given my most recent blog… The Lowside. Although I was fast asleep, I was told by sources (watch team 2) that the sun rose at an astounding 4 am which was closely followed by an exciting jibe (when we bring the stern through the wind and the sails switch sides). This is very exciting for everyone on the port side who has spent the majority of the trip on the high side, where the rocking of the boat forces them out of their beds instead of into the wall. This made my 4-hour nap in the middle of the day very enjoyable as I was now a “low-side loser”. This morning, on the 8-12 watch, Tom sent watch team 3 to go down below to ensure everything was 40/40 because the sea state was picking up.

40/40ing just means to make sure everything is secure so someone’s water bottle or a book doesn’t turn into a deadly projectile. I think it should be called 20/20ing because it would be like 20/20 vision and make more sense, but whatever. Given that Tom had never sent people in the middle of passage to do this, we took it as an indicator to down seasickness medication. We warned people to do the same and were all prepared for the worst. But it turns out we were all just being overdramatic and survived the day. In fact, watch team 3 didn’t just survive. We thrived during the 8-12 watch. Consisting of myself, Ben, Daniel, Griffin, Allie, and Nico, led by Jake and David, it made for some interesting conversation. For example, from approximately 11:16 am to 11:39 am, we discussed how to pronounce the word “apricot,” with Griffin insisting it is pronounced with the beginning “ape” and spending the entirety of that time and periodically throughout the day trying to convince everyone of this. Before that, we talked about babies for around 20 minutes, and before that, we talked about human feces. Somewhere in the middle of this, while Griffin was helming, a poor, unsuspecting Ben sat behind him and unwillingly received a lap dance. It was so good that he fell over and had to recover back on the stern. I think we saw a whale for a second or two but they may have been yesterday i can’t remember. Braving her way in the galley despite the tremendously rocking boat, Sienna managed to make an abundance of scallion pancakes, which were delectable and stayed in everyone’s stomachs this time and didn’t fly out in chunks over the side of the boat!!! If not on watchmaking friendship bracelets, people spent the majority of the 2-6 either napping or finishing our final assignment, where we had to write everyone a letter on an index card, which they will read after they leave Vela in just a short eight days. We had an early dinner (another shoutout to Siena because early meals are rare these days) of pesto pasta with cottage cheese on the side (Lucia was ECSTATIC about the cheese). During dinner, there were surprisingly no falls, and the topics of apricots and babies were brought up again. We ended the squeeze with Kool-Aid Man’s only quote OHH YEAAAAAH. As I was writing this blog, I stumbled into the stairway leading to the engine room from the force of a giant wave (I’m assuming) and could hear screams from the dishy pit above and the clashing of bowls and silverware on the deck. I can only imagine the scene: Lucia, Ruby, and David (the three salties) flying across midships with the dryers Jake, Daniel, and Margaret, thinking they could stay dry (hence their job name “dryers”), getting drenched by the green (from the pesto pasta) and chunky dishy pit water splashing over them only for seconds later a giant wave coming to take them all out.

P.S. This blog has taken me like an hour to write because they keep seeing cool stuff like dolphins and whales from up on deck so i have to run up to go see them.

Shout to the fam: Mom, Dad, Oakley, and Luke.