Location: Gustavia, St Barths

Another day aboard Ocean Star…The crew ventured through the streets and beaches of St. Barthelemy today. The day started beautifully. Some chose to seize the opportunity to sleep in (or struggle to do so), some chose coffee, and some chose to participate in an early morning workout of HIIT. Altogether, the morning was filled with smiles and laughs. As we traveled to the beach, we drove by the notorious round-about in which planes fly barely above the road and nose-dive down to the runway that heads directly towards the ocean. Once everyone reached the ocean, we had a surfboard, two kayaks, two stand-up paddleboards, and a side bonus of a Hobie cat to play with. We all took turns in trying out all the various water toys that we were granted. The rain came, and we all splashed into the water. The rain passed, and there was the brave few that took on the rented Hobie cat. They ventured out into the bay, tacking and getting used to the significantly smaller boat than we were used to. To be exact, 60 feet shorter than the boat we reside on and call home. They continued into the bay to pass the coral reefs. SNAP. “Oh, no.” SNAP.

And then the mast came tumbling down. The mini boat shipmates looked at each other blankly. What just happened?

The fearless leader dove into the water to evaluate the top of the mast. Swimming back, it was determined that the cause of the crash was unknown. Looking around the boat, we looked at the various knots to see if one was the cause of the SNAP. So, the fearless leader braced himself underneath the mainsail to attempt to make a mini sail in which he was the mast. A boat passed, a windsurfer passed, another boat passed, and another boat passed. Although, I don’t think that this adventure was without learning or laughs or smiles. It was full of all of those. Comments about the survivor crew being stranded brought bountiful laughs, smiles helped maintain all positivity, and the fearless leader also provided an impromptu lesson regarding the importance of staying with your boat.

When the dinghy with the boat renter and employee approached, the survivors tried to explain what happened despite having little if any information regarding the crash. The dinghy towed the cat to shore in such time that the fearless leader found the cause of the crash. A shackle from the port side shroud had broken, resulting in uneven tension. We shared the cause with the renter so that he would understand what had happened (basically, that it was unintentional). The rest of the Ocean Star crew flocked to the survivor’s side for their arrival. It was a scene, to say the least. The humble scribe asked the younger employee for a photo to document the moment in which he had saved her. His name was Melvin. MELVIN. MMEELLVVIINN. (sigh). *gazes dreamily*. Those traps tho. Seriously. I mean, really. Wait, where was I?

After the crazy crash, those that were left at the beach congregated to discuss the near future. By this time, it was 1300 hours, and hunger was spreading rapidly… Zach clearly had not eaten since his one slice of bread three weeks ago at 6 am…. (Dearest parents, don’t worry. We do get fed, despite what Zach may say 24/7 x1 million times). The crew headed in the direction of food towards our commonplace of home. There was free time until 1700 hours, so many wandered the island. Most of the shopping consisted of window shopping. But, most of the crew was back at Ocean Star to take advantage of a freshwater shower in our own stall. A very rare occurrence. They closed at 1645, so people were back well before then to maintain a slot in the shower line. Now a bunch of good smelling crew (still slightly haggard) reviewed the Emergency First Response homework that had been assigned.

After learning, we enjoyed an English classic of the Sunday roast (which pre-dates the American Thanksgiving according to the English staff on board 🙂 with my favorite touch of the English Yorkshire pudding. Much of the crew was unfamiliar with these delicacies, but now they have been exposed. After dinner, we continued our learning of EFR and also for the PADI Advanced Open Water Certification. LOTS of learning is happening on this boat every day.

It was a very exciting day for the crew of Ocean Star. Some enjoyed the beach, some the sun, some the presence of meat in breakfast and dinner, and some the guest company of former residence of Ocean Star. The day was another typical day on Ocean Star and of Sea | mester… not typical at all.

Another day in an absolutely magnificent place, on a magnificent boat, surrounded by magnificent people and a magnificent attitude.

FYI. In the second picture, Melvin.
Yes, I wasn’t lying…

FF(Extra F added by Tom, we don’t know what it stands for…)YI Shout out to the survivors

-Skipper Box
(with suggested edits taken into consideration)