Location: 11°32.48'S 127°11.62'E

We have successfully completed our first full day of passage today! This brought with it a lot of new things, starting with night watches. Although it’s hard to get out of bed for your watch, the sunset watch, the star watch, and the sunrise watch are each named for the perks that make it easier. During today’s sunrise watch, a friendly bird perched itself on the bowsprit, where it stayed for the rest of the morning. As people started to appear on deck, with or without oatmeal and fruit (depending on how their stomachs felt after a night in the rolling waves), the day got hot enough that we had to put a canopy up over the cockpit. Exciting happenings from the morning included saying goodbye to our bird friend, raising the forward staysail, and receiving a flyby from an Australian Border Force plane checking in on us.

On underway days, everybody gathers at lunch to eat together and talk about the day’s schedule. Today, we saw some whales as we ate, and I’ve been told that dolphins were also spotted: it’s been a good day for wildlife sightings all around. Lunch was followed by our first Oceanography and Seamanship classes. We talked a little bit about the history of oceanography and drew a fantastic rendering of Argo piece by piece to learn about the most important parts of the boat. Classes feel the same as ever, even with the added challenge of rocking from side to side and watching the horizon through a porthole to fight off seasickness. After class, we showered on deck, which felt good on such a hot day. We had the rest of the afternoon to ourselves and then came together again for dinner (kangaroo meat!) and squeeze.

There’s a lot of rhythms to be aware of while underway: the rocking of the boat, the watch cycle, and mealtimes are just a few. These routines keep everyone organized and grounded in the middle of the ocean, and though it’s tough to fall into them all at once, we’ll figure it out as we graduate to longer passages. Right now, we’ve passed the 230-mile mark of the 500-ish nautical miles from Darwin to Kupang, and though we only have two sails up, it looks like we’ll arrive early in the morning the day after tomorrow.

We’re looking forward to that. Now for another night of watches and Argo rocking us to sleep!

Hi family! No sunburns yet, just a lot of seasickness. Lots of love and I’ll talk to you in a few days!