Location: Underway to Antigua

This morning the shipmates of S/Y Ocean Star woke to the sounds of the fire alarm blaring. Instantly awake, they scrambled into their Type I PFDs, grabbed fire extinguishers, and rushed to muster in the cockpit. Upon arrival, they found that captain Smudge had set off the ship-wide alarm clock to test their response time to one of the most terrifying of shipboard emergencies. Having gone from dead asleep into fire fighting mode in just under two minutes, the crew began our morning routine at a much more relaxed pace. After a quick breakfast of oatmeal, cereal, and fresh fruit, we launched into passage prep for the 54 nautical mile beat to Antigua. The passage prep jobs that were completely foreign and confusing only eight days ago are now being accomplished with the ease and skill of a professional crew. While the captain and first mate wrangled with some minor repairs to the main engine, our open water divers continued to prepare for their upcoming final exam by reviewing and practicing with their Recreational Dive Planning tables. After a delicious lunch of Mac and Cheese followed by quick afternoon swim, the Ocean Star crew was ready to raise anchor and get underway. Setting out under only a reefed main and staysail, the crew was slightly apprehensive about sailing to windward after our exciting overnight sail to Nevis. Much to their relief, Ocean Star weaved its way through a maze of local fish pots into open water and clear blue skies. Breaking into watches, most of the crew opted to lounge on the chart house, taking in the warm rays of the sun and breathing the cool sea breeze. After a dinner of white Tuscan bean soup to the backdrop of a gorgeous Caribbean sunset, the watches dispersed to finish up some chores and get some shut-eye before waking up for late-night active watch. Ocean Star made amazing time sailing in the lee of Antigua under beautiful stars and the shimmering lights of the island. Around 1 am a very tired but happy crew doused O Star’s sails, entered English Harbour, and dropped anchor under the light of a nearly full moon. Sleepy shipmates and staff fell into their bunks and into a deep sleep, ready to wake again in a couple of hours in a new and exciting place.