Location: Roseau, Dominica

Last night around 7 p.m., the S/Y Argo was on a close reach pulling around towards the leeward side of Dominica, an outreach of the storms, and finally at the finish line of our long-awaited goal. The crew was excited to see the luscious green peaked volcanic mountains of Dominica, but before we could rejoice, there was a job to do. We spent the last hours before bed fixing the vessel to a mooring line. This type of anchorage system actually does not require you to drop any of your own anchors. It is essentially, a strong line fixed to a heavyweight and an imbedded anchor at the bottom of the seabed, which holds your vessel in place. Once this was completed and watch team one was relieved from their duty, the crew broke into a different kind of watch team, which has not happened in 18 days: anchor watch. This means that for the first time in a while, everyone gets to go to sleep except the two individuals, which rotate every hour to ensure the boat stays secure.
Already our new environment seems odd to what we were experiencing out on the ocean no more pitching and rolling of the boat. The deck from stern forwards to midship was covered with what seemed like giant colorful cocoons, as everyone was desperate to get their hands on a hammock. Finally, the air itself was noticeably different; the land breeze blew warm air, which smelled of citrus towards our vessel. I was lucky enough to draw the 6-7 watch and had the opportunity to watch the sunrise over our destination and reveal everything that we could not see under cover of darkness. Giant ferns, palm trees, pink and white eyebrow designed houses, and green and red fishing boats heading out for the days catch. Once the crew mustered and ate breakfast, we were briefed for the days activities, a lot of BA, or boat appreciation. Everything on the ship was cleaned from the bilges to the hull to get Argo back in shape after the long crossing. Half of the crew was on the deck participating in intense full topsides and deck wash, while some were below cleaning the galley, and a few donned their snorkels and fins armed with their tools to scrub the hull of barnacles. After a long hard day’s work, we were granted shore time to check out the island and have a chance to contact home.
Some ventured into town while some just went to the closest restaurant to get a delicacy, which they have been deprived of for the last three weeks: Wi-Fi. Once shore time was complete, we all took the dingy back to the vessel and had dinner, followed by our last SLS (Leadership) class. Tina was kind enough to surprise the crew with brownies and a pretty hysterical presentation of how to eat them so that the deck would not get ruined. After class, the crew started to prepare for a class of their own. Tomorrow we venture to a local school to teach middle school students about boat-life and marine biology. Yet, another day flies by, and the Argonauts are approaching the end of their journey.

Till next time,