Location: Roseau, Dominica

Today started with an early wake-up or 6:30. After everyone stumbled groggily up the companion-way, we had a delicious breakfast of bacon and eggs in preparation for an adventurous morning of diving with Dive Dominica. We dinghied over to the dock to board our dive boat at around 8:00 am, and due to the rain, we all crammed under the upper deck. The rain stuck around with us and seemed to be a theme throughout the day. It looks as if it is going to be a rainy several days ahead as unseasonal moisture in the atmosphere continues to pepper the islands with showers. Following a quick briefing, we suited up and hopped in the water for our first dive. This was a wall dive with a max depth of 70 feet! For those who don’t know what an underwater wall is, it basically looks just how it sounds and consists of a reef that is straight up and down. It makes for a very interesting dive because you need to watch your depth and watch the cool biology happening on the reef at the same time. Along the way, we saw many different fish as well as a few eels and a sea horse. After our air was just about used up, but still well within the safety limits, of course, we hopped back on the boat and headed over to our next dive spot. We had a nice hour-long surface interval meant to let our bodies off-gas the excess nitrogen in our systems, and we spent this time cramming for the test we were taking later that day. The hour passed, and then we began our second dive. On this dive, we slowly made our way around a sandy reef teaming with life. At one point, we even saw an eel feasting on a half-eaten barracuda, which inevitably made everyone very excited. After watching for a few minutes, we headed back up for our safety stop and clambered back on the boat to head back home to Ocean Star.

Post dive, everyone was very, very hungry, and was eagerly waiting for an extremely filling lunch of homemade mac and cheese. There were no leftovers. The time had come for our second test in marine biology, which covered everything from marine worms up to polar bears. Now came nap time for most of the crew while a few volunteered to go help with groceries. Then onto a cozy meal below deck, which consisted of simply spectacular chili where we all ate our fill. We are all headed to our little bunks for a good night’s sleep. Tomorrow we plan to volunteer at a local school with a Peace Corps representative, and we may even meet the Prime Minister of Dominica.