Location: Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou

After watching Vanishing Sail, a documentary about the traditional boat builders of Carriacou, we were excited for the upcoming day when we woke up. The morning started off with a breakfast of oatmeal and fresh fruit, so we had plenty of energy to go about the day. After breakfast, we prepared our lunch of chickpea salad sandwiches, which were great. Once everyone was ready, we departed for Carriacou in our dingy. On the dock, we were greeted by our taxi driver, Linky. He told us about the island as he drove us to the town of Windward. This town has a rich history of boat building, which dates back hundreds of years to when the Scottish came to the island and taught the craft. Boatbuilding was a necessity because the island couldn’t produce much of its own goods, so boats were needed to get them from other islands around the Caribbean.

In Windward, we met with Dave Goldhill, who took us to see one of the traditional boats in the process of being made. While we were there, the craftsman himself, a local man named Nero, happened to wander down to his project. This was lucky because we got a whole new layer of insight about the boat and the traditions tied to it. Nero and Dave answered our numerous questions and let us walk around the project and see it from all angles. The boat is a 75-foot schooner, and its name is unknown to all but the maker until the day it is put in the water. After leaving Nero, we went back to the restaurant where we met with Dave and got to hang out and drink some sodas and iced teas (cold drinks are a rare luxury on the boat, so we take every opportunity we can get). At the restaurant, some of us got to talk to Norman, a local on the island who spoke with us about how much he loves life on Carriacou and wished us “peace and love” before we left. Linky then picked us up, and we got a tour of the island, which ended with an impromptu trip to the island’s only museum, where we saw all kinds of artifacts and works of local art. After we got back to the boat, we started the Deckhand Olympics. We broke into three teams and competed in events such as sail raising, knot tying, and sweeping raisins across the deck. In the end, watch team 1 (my team, not to toot my own horn or anything 😉 ) won, but the competition was tough, and we all had a great time. It was fun to see how much we’ve learned in the past 23 days. Once the Olympics were over, we all washed in the ocean and hung out until dinner, which was a fantastic tofu stir fry. It was a great day out here in the Caribbean. Peace and Love from everyone aboard S/Y Ocean Star.