Location: Deep Bay, Antigua

The morning dawned cold and clear over Ocean Star as we lay anchored in St. John’s Harbor. Those early risers amongst the crew who found themselves on deck at 6:15 were treated to the sight of not one, but two monstrous cruise ships steaming by no more than 300 yards away on their way to disgorge their cargo of passengers onto the unsuspecting town. Those not fortunate enough to witness this spectacle were treated to the wailing guitar of Ozzie Osborne, summoning them to a new day.

Bleary eyed shipmates tumbled out of bed, only to find new vigor from the music – soon all were wolfing down a nutritious and filling breakfast of cereal, grapefruit, and oranges, lovingly prepared by our fearless chefs. As breakfast concluded, I shuttled our intrepid shore party of Kevin and Casey to the docks to search high and low through the cruise ship crowds for propane. As they battled the fanny-packed throngs, back on board the shipmates were entranced by Jenny’s masterful delivery of her marine biology class as well as an MTE class by yours truly.

Lunch broke hot and sweaty in the windless confines of the bay, but brought with it good news – Propane was on its way! With cooking fuel on board, we gladly bid farewell to St. John’s sweaty confines and voyaged around the point to the (ironically) named Deep Bay – depth 25 feet. Motivated by their passion for keeping Ocean Star at her finest, the crew leapt into the water as soon as our anchor was set, green scrubbies in hand, to begin a fierce assault on the grass and barnacles that had befouled her once fair bottom. The mission accomplished, some braved the surf at a nearby beach, while Arielle led a snorkeling party into the water to explore a nearby shipwreck.

Back on board before dinner, we watched a thunderstorm roll over the island, ravaging the land with torrential downpours of rain and flashing lightning. Would it reach us?! Casey and Devin dove into the galley, ready to prepare dinner rain or shine with our fresh supply of cooking gas. By the time enchiladas were wafted from the oven an hour later, the clouds had moved inland, letting us enjoy a delectable dinner in peace. Dinner cleanup wasn’t the end to our day, however. Not by any means. As shipmates finished with their tasks, they took the initiative and moved onto new missions, preparing Ocean Star for our night passage to St. Barths. As I write we are bound to sea, safe in the trusty hands of the watch on deck. May you have Fair Winds, my trusty readers!